- News and Events
- Get Software
- Get Documentation
- Have Your Say
- Contributors & Participants
- Contributors' Agreement
- Software License
What we hope to achieve with OpenSHMEM
Current SHMEM implementations present many limitations to Application Developers:
- Some implementations depend heavily on the hardware.
- Non consistent APIs across implementations.
- Most implementations are closed source, which leaves little to no room for the involvement of Application Developers.
OpenSHMEM attempts to address these issues by:
- Creating an API specification that defines a standardized interface for writing parallel applications.
- Keeping portability in mind all throughout the development of OpenSHMEM. Making OpenSHMEM portable allows us to target a broader public which can provide valuable input for improving OpenSHMEM.
- Producing a reference implementation that will serve as a starting point for further development.
- Building a community of developers and vendors that can contribute to the improvement of OpenSHMEM.